The mission of the PGPEX-VLM is to develop future visionary leaders for the manufacturing sector in India so as to enhance the global competitiveness of our manufacturing sector.
PGPEX-VLM is a unique program that fulfils the current industry’s growing demand for techno-managerial leaders who shape the neo-industrial revolution. Laden with latest management skills and cutting-edge technology knowledge, these vanguards are being readied for meeting the challenges offered by the new wave of business enterprises that thrive on information as they strive for the "Triple Bottom line".
This one year full time residential program has a built in manufacturing focus that helps to appreciate an industry’s metamorphosis in competitive times. The course is being conducted jointly by 3 premier institutes of India viz. IIM Calcutta, IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras.The course has been designed by these institutes in consultation with industry, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council (NMCC) and Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
Since 1991, the Indian economy is being progressively liberalized and its integration to the global economy is deepening. Growth of the manufacturing sector in the country has been recognized as a key thrust area by the Government of India. But with an increasingly competitive environment a need was felt to create a critical mass of visionary leaders to steer the manufacturing sector into the new era of excellence.
Hence, VLMP was developed by the National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council in collaboration with Ministry of HRD, IITs, IIMs and CII as a flagship program to develop Leaders in Manufacturing under the Indo-Japan Cooperation Agreement, signed by Honb’le Dr. Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India and His Excellency Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, in December 2006. The Government of Japan had also agreed to extend cooperation to facilitate transfer of Japanese expertise and encourage visits to manufacturing centres of excellence in Japan so as to expose the budding leaders to the pioneers of manufacturing technology, adding a global perspective to the entire effort. The program was structured under the guidance of Professor Shoji Shiba, a renowned international expert in the manufacturing sector and a recipient of the Deming Prize. Prof. Shiba has been associated for more than a decade with the very successful Leaders for Global Operations (LGO), erstwhile LFM, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA.
Since 2007, the program has crafted an array of visionary leaders who have marked their presence in industry, upholding the broad principles of the VLM community.
Unique Features of the program:
- One year full time residential program
- Joint Program of Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC), Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK) and Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM) in which each partnering institute teach their speciality in management education.
- All students must have an engineering degree
- Selection process involves short listing applicants on the basis of GMAT score, bio-data and essays, a management aptitude test and an interview conducted by the faculty members of 3 institutes and key industry experts.
- 36 weeks of classroom study, which includes lectures, case studies, tutorials, lab sessions, videos, individual and team assignments, guest lecture from Japanese faculty, industry experts and business leaders, totalling to 1057 interaction hours.
- 7 weeks of internship in industry along with 2–3 weeks of industry visit in Japan for studying Best Manufacturing Practices under the aegis of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
- The program has a proper balance of theoretical inputs and practical training to develop a high degree of leadership skill which would enable Indian companies convert manufacturing into a competitive weapon.
- The program introduces courses on Green Manufacturing, SAP ERP, and Breakthrough Management along with ISO9001 Lead Auditor Training.
- The program attracts promising engineers from the manufacturing and allied businesses, who have the potential for top management positions.
- The program aims to develop leadership and management skills, besides providing an impetus to cutting edge technology awareness and proficiency.