1. What is the last date for submission of application form?
The last date for receiving completed application form along with D/D, Banker’s cheque and the two letters of recommendations at IIMC is 31st August 2010.
2. What are the documents that need to be sent along with the application form?
The check list of documents to be sent is as follows:
a) Duly filled-in application form
b) Application fee paid by demand draft / banker’s cheque
c) GMAT score card
d) Proof of proficiency in English, if applicable
e) Attested / notarized copies of transcripts of examinations passed / degrees obtained.
f) Statement of Purpose
g) Two Letters of Recommendation
3. What will be the total no of seats available for the PGPEX – 5th batch (2011-12)?
The total number of seats available for the fifth batch is 45 (Forty five ) approximately.
4. What is the profile of the 4th Batch?
The profile of the 4th Batch is as follows.
a) Average GMAT score – 710
Average years of experience - 8.9 years
The students are from diverse sectors including IT, Energy & Utilities, Telecom, Oil & Natural Gas, Defence, Semiconductor and others.
5. What is the minimum GMAT score required for application?
There is no minimum GMAT score required for application. Participants will be selected through a rigorous selection process based on their relative ranking comprising of GMAT score, academic background, professional experience, personal interview, statement of purpose and recommendation letters from two referees.
6. Do you have any age limit for this course?
There is no upper age limit for application.
7. As of what date should the candidate have 5 year professional experience?
A candidate should have 5 years of post-qualification professional experience as of 31st March, 2011.
8. Can you please guide me about the last date of taking the GMAT test for applying for this batch?
You should take GMAT well in advance so that you can submit the application form along with the GMAT score within 31st August, 2010. However unofficial GMAT score may be submitted along with the application form (within the last date of application) in case the official GMAT score is not received within that date.
9. Do I furnish my GMAT score details in the application form only or do I need to arrange independent submission of GMAT score through ETS?
You need to submit the GMAT score along with the application form. Further, you should also inform ETS to directly send the score to us by the due date. The GMAT code for the PGPEX programme is 9CP- HT-99 and is also mentioned in the application form.
10. What all are included in the programme fees? Can you please specify how the fees has to be paid?
This amount of Rs 14 lacs ( non refundable ) includes tuition fees, and cost of books, course material, accommodation ( single accommodation). Airfare and travel cost for internship programme either in India/ abroad and study tours organized by IIMC will also be borne by the institute. This amount is payable in four instalments as follows: The fees for the 2011-12 batch are to be paid tentatively in the following manner.
a) December 2010 INR 200,000/- (1st Installment)
b) April 2011 INR 300000/- (2nd Installment)
c) July, 2011 INR 500,000/- (3rd Installment)
d) November, 2011 INR 400,000/- (4th Installment)
Furthermore, an amount of Rs. 20,000/-has to be paid as refundable caution deposit at the time of registration.
For students who will be residing in Family accommodation ( limited availability ), an additional Rs. 48000/- has to be paid by D/D, Banker’s cheque favouring ‘Indian Institute of Management Calcutta’ payable at Kolkata at the time of Registration.
All payments are to be made by Demand draft / Banker’s cheque issued by any scheduled bank for the specified amount favouring “Indian Institute of Management Calcutta”payable at Kolkata. Applicants residing abroad may send the equivalent of the applicable amount in US Dollar. DD/bank charges are to be borne by the applicants.
11. What are the additional expenses to be borne by a participant?
The participants will have to bear the expenses for food, electricity, personal travel and all personal & miscellaneous expenses during their stay at the Campus. However, the cost of air tickets and medical insurance in connection with international study tour/ Project work in India , will be borne by the Institute.
12. Whether loan facility will be available for funding the course expenditure?
Educational loans are available from banks, e.g, SBI Scholar Loan from State Bank of India against some criteria as applicable at the time during application for loan.You may contact Manager, State Bank of India, IIM Joka Branch for further details. The bank’s phone number is (033) 2467 2357.
There are many banks that offer educational loans to IIMC students. For indicative details click here.
13. Is there any Scholarship?
As on date, scholarships are not available for the PGPEX participants
14. Would you communicate to me if I am not selected or short-listed for interview?
Candidates who are called for interview and those that finally get selected will be only be intimated individually. However all candidates can check their results on the IIMC PGPEX website.
15. Will placement assistance be available after completion of the course?
Placement assistance will be provided to all participants except those candidates who were still in the rolls of the company at the time of joining the programme. However, employed candidates will be able to avail of placement facilities if they furnish a “No-objection”certificate in this regard from the employer at the time of joining. In this respect, please note that the Institute does not guarantee placement to the candidates.
16. Will you provide residential facilities? Will you provide family accommodation? Is staying out side the campus allowed?
We will provide furnished accommodation in the campus. Limited family accommodation (one composite room, kitchen Fridge , TV, A/C and attached bathroom) is also available for some of the participants. Room charges for family accommodation are Rs.48000/- extra for the entire year which is exclusive of electricity and other personal expenses. The allotment of family accommodation will be subject to availability and requirement. Residing outside the campus is not permissible.
17. Will the course provide specialization in a functional discipline like Finance, Marketing, Systems, Operation etc?
PGPEX is a general management programme. As a part of the programme the participants will have to take 18 elective courses during the 4th, 6th and 7thSemester from the pool of electives. This would cover all major functional disciplines.
18. Is PGPEX programme equivalent to 2-year PGP?
PGPEX is a seperate One-year full-time residential programme for executives with subtantial work experience. The program aims to prepare experienced executives for leadership positions.
19. How much is the International exposure?
Participants will be required to undertake an international study tour (if available) or a project in India (with international component) as a part of the curriculum for a period not exceeding four weeks. The travel expenses which include airfare, and medical insurance will be borne by the Institute. All other expenses including visa, food, personal and miscellaneous expenses are to be borne by the participants.
20. When will you announce the list of selected candidates? Is it possible to know about selection earlier in case of urgency?
The list of selected candidates will be announced within the first half of December, 2010. Information regarding selection of a candidate cannot be provided earlier.
21. In the Application Form, you have stated that at least one of the reference letters should be by someone from industry who is familiar with applicant’s professional experience. Can I submit both of my reference letters from persons in the same Industry as I am?
Yes, you can.
22. What is the word limit for the application essays.
There is no word limit. You may use extra sheets, if required.
23. Statement of Purpose : What exactly are you looking for? Am I supposed to mention the purpose of entering into the course?
You may write on “Why you want to join the programme and how it will help you achieve your career goals”.
24. My medium of instruction in school was not English but in college I studied in English. Am I required to provide any proof of proficiency in English? Do I need to take all the tests – TOEFL, TWE and IELTS?
You need not provide any proof of proficiency in English. Those who need to provide the proof will have to take one of the tests mentioned in the Application Form.
25. It is mentioned that a Letter of Recommendation has to be sealed by the referee before it is handed over to the applicant. Is it necessary to get the signatures of the referee across the flaps of the envelope?
Yes, please obtain the signatures of the referees across the flaps of the envelope containing the Letter of Recommendation.
26. Can one apply with graduation undertaken through a 2 year course?
No. The participants are required to have a minimum of 3 years of under-graduate study after 12 years of school education and the graduation should be from a recognized university or equivalent.
27. How can I get the hard copies of brochure and application form?
IIMC does not send hard copies of the brochure and the application form. The PGPEX application form is to be downloaded from the Institutes website wwwlive.iimcal.ac.in/pgpex and sent to us duly filled-in with all relevant details and testimonials along with the application fee of Rs 2000/-which is non refundable.
28. Will the participant be a part of IIMC alumni?
Yes, the participants will be part of IIMC alumni.
29. Is it possible to take a few days of leave, if required during the programme?
There is usually one week’s leave during the entire course. The final decision in this regard is taken by the PGPEX Committee.
30. If I am selected this year and unable to join, can I join in the next batch?
No. You will have to apply afresh again next year for selection.
31. Where will the interview be held?
Interviews are normally held in Bangalore, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi, New York and London. Applicants residing in India and abroad will have to appear for personal interview in any of the above locations at their own expenses.
32. Is telephonic interview allowed?
In exceptional cases telephonic interviews/video conferencing may be arranged if someone is unable to attend the interview personally.
33. Will I have to send the original testimonials along with the application form?
No. However, the originals have to be produced at the time of registration.
34. Will you consider CAT scores for instead of GMAT score?
No, Only GMAT scores are applicable.
35. Is there any consideration for sponsored candidates?
Regret there is no consideration. All candidates will have to appear for the selection process as mentioned earlier.
36. Will all applicants who fulfill the eligibility criteria be called for the interview?
No. Only a limited number of applicants will be called for the interview based on the selection criteria. The criteria involves GMAT score, academic background, professional experience, SOP, essays and recommendations.
37. Who should attest the documents?
The documents should be attested by a Gazetted officer / Govt official under his/her official seal. Any other highly responsible or high ranking official may attest under his official seal subject to verification and confirmation.
If you have any further queries you may Or Visit our website wwwlive.iimcal.ac.in/pgpex or contact :
Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
Joka, Diamond Harbour Road,
Ph. No (033)2467 8300/8312 ( Ext 201/284 )